Tolland County, Connecticut
Tolland is the chief town. This county was taken from Hartford and Windham counties in 1786. It is bounded N. by Massachusetts, E. by Windham, S. by New London, and W. by Hartford counties. Its greatest length from N. to S. is 30 miles. It covers an area of 337 square miles. Population, 1820, 14,330; 1830, 18,700. Inhabitants to a square mile, 56.
The western part of the county lays within the great valley of the Connecticut: it is generally free from stone, undulating, fertile and productive: the eastern section is within the granitic range which extends through the state: much of this portion of the county is covered with forests; that part which is cleared affords good grazing. In 1837 there were in the county 23,096 sheep. The Scantic, Willimantic, Salmon, Hockanum and Hop rivers, with their tributaries, afford the county a good water power, and manufactures flourish within its limits.