Charlestown, New Hampshire
Sullivan county. Is situated on Connecticut river, 51 miles from Concord, 100 from Boston, 100 from Albany, 110 from Hartford, Conn., and 18 miles from Windsor, Vt. The only rivers in Charlestown are the Connecticut and Little Sugar rivers. In the former there are three islands within the limits of this town, the largest of which contains about ten acres, and is called Sartwell's island. The others contain about six acres each, and have a rich loamy soil. Sartwell's island is under a high cultivation. There are no falls in the river within the limits of Charlestown which interrupt boat navigation, although some little inconvenience is experienced in low water from what are called "Sugar river bars." Little Sugar river waters the north part of Charlestown, and empties into Connecticut river about two miles south of the S. line of Claremont. This town has but few factory or mill privileges. The soil is extremely various. West of the great road leading from Walpole to Claremont are not less than 1,500 acres of fine intervale land, generally of a deep, rich and loamy soil, and favorable for the culture and growth of most of the various kinds of grass and grain. In the E. and N.E. parts of the town, the soil of the upland is good—the natural growth of wood, consisting principally of beech, birch, oak, maple, and hemlock. There is a ridge of hard, broken, and in some parts stony, land, east of the river road, extending almost the whole length of the town, and which is considered unfit for settlements. The south part of the town appears to have a different soil, and is favorable for yielding the lighter grains. Charlestown contains two parishes, which are divided by a line running from Cheshire bridge S. 87° E., to the corner of Acworth and Unity. In the south parish, there is a handsome village, delightfully situated, at the distance of about half a mile from Connecticut river, and parallel with it. In the north parish is a meeting-house and a small village. Cheshire bridge, about 2 miles N. of the S. meeting-house, connects this town with Springfield, Vt. From this bridge Cheshire turnpike leads southerly through the principal village, to Keene. Charlestown was granted by Massachusetts, Dec. 31, 1735, by the name of Number 4, which is sometimes applied to it at the present day.
On the 2d of July, 1753, No. 4 was incorporated by the name of Charlestown. The charter was granted by Gov. Benning Wentworth to Joseph Wells, Phinehas Stevens and others, who were purchasers under the old grantees.