A pleasant and flourishing town in Washington county, six miles S. of Montpelier, and 48 N. by W. of Windsor. This is considered one of the best farming towns in the state. Large quatities of pot and pearl ashes, beef, pork, butter, and cheese, are annually taken from this place to Boston market. About 7,000 sheep are kept here. It is well watered by Stevens' and Jail, branches of Onion river, which afford good mill privileges. Inexhaustible quantites of granite are found here, of the excellent quality with which the capitol at Montpelier is built. This is a great thoroughfare for travellers, particularly for large teams from the north to Boston, by the Gulf road. A large number of these noted six and eight horse teams are owned here. Barre was first settled in 1788. Present population, about 2,500.