Johnston, Rhode Island
Providence county. This town lies 5 miles W. from Providence, from which it was taken in 1759. It is pleasantly variegated by hills and vales, with a soil adapted to the culture of corn and barley, and particularly to all sorts of vegetables and fruits, of which large quantities are annually sent to Providence market. The quarries of freestone in Johnston are valuable: they supply the wants, not only of the city and the immediate vicinity, but distant places, with that useful material. The Wonasqatucket and Pochasset rivers with their tributary streams give this town a good hydraulic power. Beautiful manufacturing villages are scattered along the banks of these waters, presenting to the eye of the traveler the pleasant union of our agricultural and manufacturing interests. Population, 1830, 2,113.