Bristol, Rhode Island
This is the chief town of Bristol county; the Pocanocket of the Indians. It is delightfully situated on the waters of Narraganset and Mount Hope bays, in lat. 41°39'53" N., lon. 71°19' W. It lies 15 miles S. from Providence, 15 N. from Newport, and 56 S.S.W. from Boston. Its navigable advantages are unrivalled. The commerce of this place is not so extensive as formerly; still there is considerable maritime trade. It has 18 vessels engaged in the whale fishery, 15 or 20 sail in the merchant service, and a large number in the coasting trade. The amount of tonnage in this district in 1837, was 16,627 tons. Much of the capital of this town is employed in manufacturing concerns at other places. The town comprises an area of about 12 square miles, including Mount Hope, once the residence of the celebrated king Philip. The soil is deep, gravelly loam, very fertile and productive. Great quantities of onions are produced here, the cultivation of which gives a lucrative employment to a great number of the inhabitants. Population, in 1830, 3,054.
Mount Hope lies about 2 miles N.E. of the court house. It is of a conical form, and though not more than 300 feet above tide water, presents a view of great interest and beauty.