Sandwich, New Hampshire
Strafford county. Sandwich is 70 miles N.N.W. from Portsmouth and about 50 N. from Concord. This town was originally granted by Gov. Benning Wentworth, in 1763, and comprised 6 miles square. On the 5th Sept. 1764, upon the representation of the grantees that the N. and W. sides thereof were "so loaded with inaccessible mountains and shelves of rocks as to be uninhabitable"—an additional grant was made of territory on the E. and S., called Sandwich Addition. Sandwich mountains are a lofty range extending N.E. and terminating in Chocorua Peak in Albany. Squam mountain, extending from Holderness through a corner of Campton into Sandwich, is of considerable height. There are other mountains. The Bearcamp river, its branches rising in the mountains N. and W., passes E. into Tamworth. The W. branch passes through Bearcamp pond. There is another pond not far distant from this, from which issues Red Hill river, passing S. into the Winnepisiogee lake. A small stream passes W. into the Pemigewasset river. About one fourth of Squam lake lies in the S.W. corner of Sandwich. This is a flourishing town with a number of mills. Thirty thousand pounds of maple sugar was made here in the spring of 1838. Population, 1830, 2,744.