Franconia, New Hampshire
Grafton county. It is 28 miles N.E. from Haverhill and 74 N. from Concord. A large proportion of this town is mountainous. Its streams are branches of the Lower Amonoosuck river, and rise on the mountainous tracts to the east. Here are several ponds: one of which, called Ferrin's pond, is the source of the middle branch of Pemigewasset river. The mountains adjoining the Notch, through which the road passes, are most conspicuous. These are called Mounts La Fayette and Jackson. On the latter is the celebrated "Profile," or "Old Man of the Mountain." It is situated on a peak of solid rock, 1,000 feet in height and almost perpendicular. On this peak, nature, in her wildest mood, exhibits the profile of the human face, of which every feature is delineated with wonderful exactness. The Franconia mountain pass presents to the traveller some of the wildest scenery in our country, and must ever remain a great thoroughfare between the upper waters of the Connecticut river and the ocean.
There are two iron establishments in this town. The lower works are situated on the S. branch of Amonoosuck river, and are owned by the New Hampshire Iron Factory Company; incorporated Dec. 18, 1805, which was composed principally of gentlemen in Salem and Boston. Their establishment is very extensive, consisting of a blast furnace, a forge and trip-hammer shop. There are also near, or connected with the establishment, grain and saw-mills, a large store, several shops, and other buildings, which make a small village. The ore is obtained from a mountain in the east part of Lisbon, N.H., three miles from the furnace, and is considered the richest in the United States, yielding from 56 to 63 per cent; and the mine is said to be inexhaustible. First settled, 1774. Population, 1830, 447.