Bath, New Hampshire
Grafton county, on Connecticut river, is 32 miles N. of Dartmouth College, 82 N.W. of Concord, and 9 N. of Haverhill. Bath is pleasantly situated in the vale of the Connecticut, between the Green mountains on the W., and the White mountains on the E., by which it is effectually shielded from high winds and long storms. The Amonoosuck river waters the S.E. part, affording many fine mill seats and water privileges. The Amonoosuck has a very convenient fall at the village, calculated to accommodate machinery to any extent. Two mills for the manufacture of cassimere, and other machinery, are already erected. At the principal village, (which is very pleasant,) there is a considerable bridge over the Amonoosuck, of 350 feet in length, built in 1807. The soil on the hills is generally a reddish loam, on a bed of marl, or hard pan. In the valleys it is alluvial. About one-sixth part of the whole town is intervale land. Much improvement has been made in the agriculture of this place: 550 sheep are kept here. The town was granted, 1761, and the first settlement was made in 1765 by John Herriman from Haverhill, Mass. Population, 1830, 1,627.