Kennebec county. This town is finely situated, having a fertile soil, an undulating surface, and comprising six beautiful sheets of water; the Cobbessecontee and some of its tributaries. The largest of these lakes or ponds is ten miles in length, and from one to three in width. These waters give to Winthrop a valuable water power, and which is partly improved by a large cotton mill, a flour mill, carding and cloth dressing establishments, saw mills, &c. There are also in the town extensive manufactures of leather, boots, and shoes.
The principal village is delightfully located, in the form of a crescent, at the union of the North lake, extending into Readfield, about six miles, with the South lake extending into Monmouth, about the same distance. This village is 10 miles W. from Augusta. The East village likewise is pleasantly situated at the northern extremity of the large lake, and is about 6 miles from Augusta.
These villages are neatly built, and are flourishing places of business. The lakes add much to the beauty of the town. The descent of their banks is gently sloping, with a dispersion of acclivities, which serve to heighten the beauty of the scenery: their waters are deep, clear, and are stocked with an abundance of trout, pickerel, perch, and other fish.
There is in this town an elevated tract of land containing an inexhaustible quantity of iron ore, or the material from which copperas is manufactured. Large quantities of copperas were made here during the late war, and it is thought that this ore might be advantageously used in times of peace.
Winthrop is an excellent farming town, and the moral character of its inhabitants is said to be uncommonly good. It was incorporated in 1771. Population, 1837, 2,003. Wheat crop, same year, 5,194 bushels.