Fairfield county. This town lies 33 miles S.W. from New Haven, 24 N. by W. from Fairfield, and 6 N. by E. from Danbury. It was taken from New Milford, Danbury, and Newtown, in 1788, and named after the first minister, Rev. Thomas Brooks, who was ordained when the church was organized in 1758. The surface of the town is somewhat broken, but the soil is strong, and well adapted to the culture of grain. The rocks in many parts of the town are limestone, and afford marble. The N.E. boundary is washed by the Housatonick river, over which is a bridge to Milford; and Still river passes nearly through its centre. Fish, particularly shad, are taken in its waters. Population, 1830, 1,261.