Litchfield county. This town is 38 miles W.S.W. from Hartford, 32 N.W. by W. from New Haven, and 8 S. from Litchfield. It was taken from Woodbury, in 1787. It is hilly, with a gravelly loam, and fit for grazing and the growth of rye. It has 2,000 sheep. Population, 1830, 906. The town is watered by Pomperaug river, a branch of the Housatonick.