Orange county. This is an elevated township of good soil, particularly for grazing. It is generally well improved, and produces good butter, cheese and mutton. Between twelve and thirteen thousand sheep graze in its pastures.
It is well watered by branches of White river, on which are two woolen mills and other manufactures. There are a number of flourishing business locations in the town: the centre village is very pleasant and contains an academy of excellent reputation. This town was first settled about the year 1778. Population, 1830, 2,743.