Rutland county. This is a flourishing town, watered by a river of the same name; 11 miles W. from Rutland, 72 S.W. from Montpelier, and 14 E. from Whitehall. Population, 1830, 1,783. First settled 1770. The surface of the town is rough and hilly, but there is some rich land. It feeds about 9,000 sheep. Mill streams abound in Castleton, on which are a woolen and other manufacturing establishments. Lake Bombazine, 7 miles in length and 2 in breadth, is chiefly in this town. It is stored with fish, and has an island near its centre of exquisite beauty. The village of Castleton is elevated, neatly built, and presents a great variety of rich and beautiful scenery.