Windsor county. This town is bounded E. by Woodstock, and lies 45 miles S. from Montpelier, 17 N.W. from Windsor, and 60 N.E. from Bennington. Population, 1820, 1,125; 1830, 2,320. The settlement of the town commenced in 1780. In 1785 the town was organized. There are many good mill seats in this town on Waterqueechy river, and considerable fine intervale lies on the borders of that stream. The high lands are good, and produce valuable crops. It feeds about 6,000 sheep. Here are found iron ore, garnets, rock crystal, mica slate, gneiss, limestone, quartz, and excellent soapstone. In 1822, a living frog was taken from 26 feet below the surface of the ground, about 30 rods from the river.
¶ In more modern times, Raymond Hill and Freetop Hill in Bridgewater have yielded gold in small amounts.