Scituate, Rhode Island
Providence county. This town was a part of Providence until 1731, when it was incorporated. It lies 12 miles W. by S. from Providence, and, in 1830, had 3,394 inhabitants. The surface of the town is diversified by hills and valleys: in the north part of the town the soil is a gravelly loam, better adapted to grazing than tillage. Pawtuxet river with several of its branches give Scituate a good water power, and large manufactories, particularly of cotton and wool are found on their banks. There is a valuable quarry of free-stone in the western part of the town.