Hopkinton, Rhode Island
Washington county. Wood river, a valuable mill stream, passes through this town, on which are cotton and woolen mills, iron works, and various other manufactories. The soil of the town is generally well adapted for grazing and the cultivation of grain. It produces large quantities of fruit and excellent cider. Shad and alewives are taken in Pawcatuck river. There are several ponds within the town. Considerable wood and timber are sent to market from this place.
Hopkinton City, at the south part of the town, on the Tommaquaug branch of Charles River, is very pleasant and flourishing. It lies 35 miles S.W. from Providence and 15 W. from South Kingston. Hopkinton was first settled in 1660. Incorporated, 1757. Population, 1830, 1,777.