Washington, New Hampshire
Sullivan county, lies 22 miles N.N.E. from Keene, 20 E. by S. from Charlestown, and 35 W. from Concord. This town is hilly, but not mountainous. Lovewell's mountain, so called from Capt. Lovewell's killing 7 Indians near it, is of a conical shape, about 3/4 of a mile in diameter, and may be seen at a considerable distance. Washington abounds with springs, rivulets, and natural ponds, of the last of which, there are no less than 16, and some of them of considerable magnitude. Island pond, so called from its being full of islands, is 2 miles long, and 1 1/2 wide. Half moon pond is 1 1/2 miles in length. Ashuelot pond is 1 1/2 miles long, and 1 mile wide, and is the source of one of the principal branches of Ashuelot river. Brockway's pond, a beautiful sheet of water, lying on a white sand, is 1 mile long, and 1/2 mile wide. Long pond, lying in this town and Stoddard, is 5 miles in length. These ponds abound with a variety of fish. A branch of Contoocook river has its source from several small ponds in the E. part of the town. The soil is generally deep and moist, better for grass than tillage. Washington was settled in 1768. It was first called Monadnock No. 8. From its settlement, it was called Camden, till December 13, 1776, when it was incorporated by its present name. The first settlers had 150 acres of land each for settling. Population, in 1830, 1,135.