Surry, New Hampshire
Cheshire county. This town lies 54 miles S.W. from Concord and 6 N.W. from Keene. It is watered by Ashuelot river, on which there is a tract of valuable meadow land, extending almost the whole length of the town. On the east side of Ashuelot river is a steep and high mountain, on the summit of which is a pond of about 3 acres in extent, and about 25 feet depth of water.
Surry was originally a part of Gilsum and Westmoreland. It was incorporated in 1769, deriving its name from Surry in England. The first settlement was made in 1764 by Peter Hayward. Population, 1830, 539.