Salem, New Hampshire
Rockingham county, is 30 miles S. from Concord and 40 S.W. from Portsmouth. Policy pond, partly in this town, and partly in Windham, is the largest collection of water: World's end pond and Captain pond are in the S.E. and E. parts of the town; and there are other small ponds. The Spiggot river, passing from N. to S. through the town, receives in its course numerous branches, and waters the different portions of the town, furnishing also excellent mill privileges. The soil is generally fertile, and the surface uneven. Salem was incorporated by charter, May 11, 1750. Population, in 1830, 1,310.