Moultonborough, New Hampshire
Strafford county, is situated on the N.W. shore of Winnepisiogee lake. This interesting town lies 45 miles N. from Concord and 20 E. from Plymouth. This town is broken by mountains and ponds. Red Hill, lying wholly within this town, commands notice from the east, south, and west; and extends about 3 miles from E. to W., between Red Hill river on the N., Great Squam on the W., Great Squam and Long pond on the S., terminating S.E. by a neck of fine land extending into the Winnepisiogee. Its summit is covered with fine uvae ursi and low blueberry bush, which in autumn give the hill a reddish hue, from which circumstance its name was probably derived. A number of oval bluffs rise on its summit, from each of which the prospect on either hand is extensive and delightful. The north bluff is supposed to consist of a body of iron ore. Bog ore is found in a brook descending from this bluff. Ossipee mountain extends its base into this town, and is a commanding elevation. On the south part of this mountain, in Moultonborough, is a mineral chalybeate spring, the waters strongly impregnated with iron and sulphur, and efficacious in cutaneous eruptions. About a mile north is a spring of pure cold water, 16 feet in diameter, through the centre of which the water, containing a small portion of fine white sand, is constantly thrown up to the height of two feet—the spring furnishing water sufficient for mills. On the stream nearly a mile below, is a beautiful waterfall of 70 feet perpendicular. Descending on the left of this fall, a cave is found, containing charcoal and other evidences of its having been a hiding place for the Indians. Red Hill river originates in Sandwich, and passes through this town into the Winnepisiogee. Long pond is a beautiful sheet of water, and connects with the lake by a channel sixty rods in length. Squam and Winnepisiogee lakes lie partly in Moultonborough. The soil of this town is fruitful, though in some parts rocky. Moultonborough was granted in 1763 to Col. Jonathan Moulton and others. Settlements commenced in 1764.