Epping, New Hampshire
Rockingham county, lies 29 miles S.E. from Concord, 20 W. from Portsmouth, and 8 N.W. from Exeter. It was formerly a part of Exeter, and was incorporated Feb. 12, 1741. The town contains 12,760 acres, being nearly 20 square miles. The soil in general is very good, and well suited to raise the various productions that grow in the state. Lamprey river, at the west, receives the Patuckaway, and runs through the whole length of the town. Another river runs through the N. part of the town, and from that circumstance is called North river. By observations taken at 6 in the forenoon, and 1 and 9 o'clock in the afternoon, from Fahrenheit's thermometer placed in the open air, 13 feet from the ground, and where the sun does not shine on the thermometer, the annual average of heat for 10 years in succession, was 44 1/12°. During that period the annual average rain that fell, was 2 feet 10 inches, and of snow, 6 feet 7 inches.
William Plummer, one of its most distinguished and estimable citizens, resides in this town. A considerable portion of his life has been employed in the service of the people in the several stations of representative and senator in the legislature, president of the senate, speaker of the house of representatives, representative and senator in congress, and for four years as chief-magistrate of the state. Population, 1830, 1,268.