Effingham, New Hampshire
Strafford county. There are several mountains of considerable elevation in this town. The Ossipee river passes through the town, over which is a toll-bridge. Province pond lies between Effingham and Wakefield. Effingham was settled a few years prior to the revolution. It was then known by the name of Leavitt's Town. Incorporated, Aug. 18, 1778. Effingham borders W. on Ossipee lake and E. on Maine. It lies 58 miles N.E. from Concord, and 25 N.E. by E. from Gilford. Population, 1830, 1,911.