Amherst, New Hampshire
An important town, and the seat of justice in Hillsborough county, is situated on Souhegan river. It is 28 miles S. from Concord, about the same distance from Hopkinton, 47 N.W. from Boston, 40 E. from Keene, 60 S.E. from Windsor, Vt., and 484 from Washington. Souhegan is a considerable and very important stream, and in its course to the Merrimack river from this town, affords some of the finest water privileges in the county. Babboosuck, Little Babboosuck, and Jo English ponds are the largest collections of water. In some parts, and particularly on Souhegan river, the soil is of an excellent quality, producing abundant crops. In other parts, on the hills elevated above the village, the soil is of a good quality, and several valuable farms are found under good cultivation. The village is pleasant and contains many handsome buildings. There is a spacious common between the two principal rows of houses, which is often used for public purposes. There is what is termed a mineral spring, about 1 1/2 miles E. of the meeting house. The water has been found useful in rheumatic complaints, and in scrofulous and scorbutic habits; for poisons by ivy, dog-wood, &c. This town was granted in 1733, by Massachusetts, to those persons living and the heirs of those not living, who were officers and soldiers in the Narraganset war of 1675. It was called Narraganset No. 3, and afterwards Souhegan-West. The number of proprietors was 120, of whom a considerable number belonged to Salem, Mass. The town was incorporated Jan. 18, 1760, when it assumed the name of Amherst, in compliment to Lord Jeffrey Amherst. Among the worthy citizens of Amherst who deserve remembrance, may be mentioned Hon. Moses Nichols, a native of Reading, Mass., who was a colonel under Gen. Stark in the Battle of Bennington; Hon. Samuel Dana, a native of Brighton, Mass.; Hon. William Gordon, eminent in the profession of the law.—Hon. Robert Means, who died Jan. 24, 1823, at the age of 80, was for a long period of time a resident in Amherst. He was a native of Ireland. In 1764, he came to this country, where by his industry and application to business, he acquired a large property, and great respect.
Amherst did its duty manfully during the revolutionary contest. During the first four years of that war about one in seventy of its people died in the service. The expenses of that war, to this town, "in addition to any bounties, travel or wages given or promised by the State or the United States, was found to be in specie, £3,511." Population, 1830, 1,657.