Hampden county. Monson was taken from Brimfield in 1760. It lies 73 miles S.W. by W. from Boston and 13 E. from Springfield. Population, 1837, 2,179. This is a pleasant town of variegated surface, good soil and well watered by Chickopee river. It contains a flourishing academy. There are 3 cotton mills in Monson, and other manufactures. The value of cotton goods manufactured in the year ending April 1, 1837, was $67,500.