Norfolk county. County town. This town is on Charles river, with a good water power. It is 10 miles S.W. from Boston, 35 E. from Worcester, 35 N.W. from Plymouth, 26 N. by W. from Taunton, and 30 N.E. from Providence. It has a beautiful court house of hewn granite. Its Indian name was Tiot. A rail-road from the centre of the town meets the Boston and Providence rail-road, about two miles at the eastward. The manufactures of Dedham the year ending April 1, 1837, amounted to $510,755. They consisted of cotton and woolen goods, leather, boots, shoes, paper, marbled paper, iron castings, chairs, cabinet wares, straw bonnets, palm-leaf hats, and silk goods. The value of silk goods manufactured was $10,000. Dedham village is very pleasant and possesses every inducement to render it a desirable residence for the mechanic or man of leisure. Population, 1837, 3,532.