Washington county. Lubec comprises a township of good land, lying at the northeasterly corner of the state, and contains a point of land extending easterly on which West Quoddy Head light-house is situated, at the western entrance into Passamaquoddy bay. This place possesses an admirable harbor for vessels of any draught of water; it is easy of access and never obstructed by ice. There are also within the town a number of bays, coves, and several islands. Grand Menan stretches off the mouth of the harbor on the E. 5 or 6 miles distant, and Campo Ballo, another English island, lies very near and protects the harbor on the north. This town was taken from Eastport in 1811, and contained 380 inhabitants. Population, 1820, 1430; 1830, 2,081; 1837, 4,161.
Lubec, in common with Eastport, enjoys a very extensive trade with the Bay of Fundy, and the great waters of Passamaquoddy bay. The village, or principal place of business, is beautifully located on a point of land jutting out into the harbor; it makes a fine appearance, commands an active trade, and is flourishing in its navigation and fishery. It lies 3 miles S. from Eastport, 30 E. from Machias, 173 E. by N. from Augusta, and 31 S.E. from Calais, at the head of navigation on the St. Croix river.