Hancock county. This is a large township on the Atlantic ocean, containing a number of excellent harbors, and nearly surrounded by water. It is admirably located for all the various pursuits in navigation. Goldsborough harbor, on the E. side of the town, is capacious and easy of approach by almost any wind. Frenchman's bay extends on the W. side of the town and affords it many commercial advantages. It lies 99 miles E. from Augusta, 27 S.E. from Ellsworth, and is bounded by Sullivan on the N. Incorporated, 1789. Population, 1830, 880; 1837, 1,047.