Oxford county. This town was incorporated in 1804. Population, 1837, 551. It lies about 30 miles N.E. from Paris, 61 W.N.W. from Augusta, and 70 N.W. from Portland. It is finely watered by Ellis' river, a branch of the Androscoggin. This town is an extensive glebe of upland and intervale of excellent quality, surrounded by White Cap, Bald Pate, Blue, and Cone mountains. The town was first settled by industrious and intelligent farmers from Essex county, Mass., in 1790, and most of its present population maintain the characteristics of their fathers.