Bennington county. First settled, 1761. Population, in 1830, 1,835. Pownal lies 30 miles W. by S. from Brattleborough and 8 S. from Bennington. The surface is broken and hilly, but the soil is strong and remarkably well adapted for grass, producing all the varieties of the dairy in great abundance and of an excellent quality. The number of sheep kept in this town is about 8,000. Pownal is watered by Hoosack and Walloomsac rivers, which produce a good water power. The village is very pleasant.