Washington county. First settled, 1794. Population, 1830, 874. It lies 8 miles E. from Montpelier and 21 from Newbury. At the junction of Onion river and Great brook, in this town, is a neat village with some manufacturing operations by water. There is a mineral spring in the town of some note, and a fine trout pond. The soil is generally of a good quality, and feeds about 3,000 sheep.