Orange County, Vermont
Chelsea, chief town. This county is bounded N. by Washington and Caledonia counties, E. by Connecticut river, S. by Windsor county, and W. by Addison and Washington counties. Area, 650 square miles. Population, 1820, 24,169; 1830, 27,285. Population to a square mile, 42. Incorporated, 1781. The eastern range of the Green mountains extends along the northwestern part of the county. The principal rivers, besides the Connecticut, are the Ompomponoosuc, Wait's, branches of the White, and Stevens' branch of the Onion. The lands in Orange county are generally good for grazing, and supply many cattle and all the varieties of the dairy, of which a large amount is annually sent to market. In 1837 there were 99,346 sheep within its limits. This county contains some excellent tracts of land on the banks of the Connecticut. Iron and lead ores, slate and granite, are abundant.