Orange county. A rough and mountainous township, with very little productive land, on the west side of Connecticut river, and connected with Orford, N.H., by a bridge across that river. First settled, 1768. Population, 1830, 656. This town lies about 17 miles E.S.E. from Chelsea, and 31 S.E. from Montpelier.
Fairlee pond is two miles in length and about three fourths of a mile wide. It formerly had no fish. Some years ago a gentleman placed some pickerel in it, and the legislature passed a law protecting the fish from molestation for two years. Since that time the pond has had an abundance of pickerel of good size and quality.