County town of Orange county. First settled 1785. Chelsea is a township of good land, with a pleasant village in the centre. It is watered by the head branches of White river and has a good hydraulic power. Its manufactures consist of cassimere, satinet, leather, iron, &c. Chelsea produces all the various commodities common to the climate, and feeds about 6,000 sheep. It lies 20 miles S. by E. from Montpelier. Population, 1830, 1,958.