Washington county. Abijah Wheelock and others first settled this town in 1787. It lies 36 miles E. by S. from Burlington and 12 N.E. from Montpelier. Population, 1830, 1,539. Calais has a number of streams, branches of Onion river, and several fine ponds. Two thousand pounds of trout have been taken in a season. There is some manufacturing carried on in the town, and it feeds about 6,000 sheep.