Brattleborough [Brattleboro], Vermont
Windham county. This town is situated in the southeasterly quarter of the state and county; is bounded E. by Connecticut river, S. by Vernon and Guilford, W. by Marlboro, and N. by Dummerston. At the N.E. section of the town is the site of the once famous military post, Fort Dummer, nothing of which is now retained but the name, Dummer Meadows. At the mouth of Whetstone brook is a commodious landing place for river craft. Brattleborough is connected with Hinsdale and Chesterfield by a handsome covered bridge, spanning the Connecticut, and terminating at its western abutment in the east village, where the north, the south, the east, and the west lines of mail stages concentrate. The town and vicinity are noticed for their salubrious air, pure water, and fine mountain scenery. It is watered on the east by the Connecticut, and is intersected by West river, Whetstone brook, and numerous small streams. There are many sites for water power on the larger streams, unoccupied, and inviting enterprize. The east village is the general business mart for the surrounding towns. Of its own internal business and industry, one instance is given of many of less amount. "The Brattleboro Typographic Co." was incorporated Oct. 26, 1836. Capital, $150,000. The Company is extensively engaged in the manufacture of paper and books. Their paper mill is furnished with the best machinery, and is capable of turning out from 40 to 50 reams of the largest printing paper, or from 150 to 200 reams of letter paper per day. Their printing office contains eight power presses. There are employed in the establishment from 60 to 70 male and female operatives. So great are their facilities, that they have taken rags and manufactured them into paper, and printed it, on the same day. Probably there is no establishment in the country which combines so many facilities for carrying on the book business as this. The Company publish a variety of bibles and other valuable works. The value of business done at this establishment, in 1836, is stated to have amounted to $500,000.
It is presumed that this village, according to its size, is second to none in the state for business or wealth. The surface of the town is diversified by hills, vales, and plains; is of good soil, and generally well improved. It is 12 miles S.E. from Newfane, 96 W. of Boston, and 76 E.N.E. from Albany. Population, 1820, 2,017—1830, 2,141.