Stratham, New Hampshire
Rockingham county. This town lies 39 miles S.E. by E. from Concord, 3 E.N.E. from Exeter, and is situated on the E. side of the W. branch of the Piscataqua river. Stratham is distant about 8 miles from the sea. The land is even, and well calculated for agricultural purposes. Farming is so exclusively the employment of the people, that although a navigable river adjoins it, there is little attention given to any other pursuit. In the east part of the town, in a swamp, is perhaps the largest repository of peat in the state. This town was a part of the Squamscot patent, or Hilton's purchase. It was made a town by charter, March 20, 1716. Population in 1830, 838.