Lempster, New Hampshire
Sullivan county. It is 40 miles W. from Concord. The surface is, in general, uneven, and the eastern part is mountainous. The soil is moist, and better suited for grass than grain. The town is well watered, although its streams are small. One branch of Sugar river, and the S. and W. branches of Cold river, afford conveniences for water machinery. Near the W. boundary line is a pond 320 rods long and 80 wide. Sand pond lies in this town and Marlow. Lempster was granted 1761. It was settled about 1770, by emigrants from Connecticut. Population, in 1830, 999.