County town, Worcester county. This town was incorporated in 1684, but in consequence of Indian hostilities the first town meeting was not held until 1722. This part of the country was called by the Indians, Quinsigamond, and Tatmuck and Bogachoak hills were Indian residences.
The central situation of the town, both in regard to the county and state, the fertility of its soil and that of the surrounding country, the salubrity of its climate, and the industry, intelligence and wealth of its people, have long since entitled it to the honor of being called the chief town in "the Heart of the Commonwealth." The town is situated in a valley, and surrounded by hills of gentle acclivity. It is well built and beautifully shaded, and travellers from every direction, are delighted with its neatness and beauty.
A number of streams which form the head waters for the Blackstone meet in this town, and furnish a considerable water power.