Bristol county. This town is pleasantly situated on Acoakset river, near the mouth of Buzzard's bay, on the line of Rhode Island; 18 miles N.N.E. from Newport, 25 S. from Fall River, 10 S.W. from New Bedford, and 60 S. from Boston. Five vessels belong to this place, engaged in the whaling business, and a number of small vessels are employed in coasting and fishing.
The value of whale oil imported into Westport, the year ending April 1, 1837, was $53,670. The value of the manufactures of this town, the same year, was $69,375; they consisted of cotton yarn, salt, and hoes. The number of sheep sheared that year was 2,392; value of the wool, $2,551. This town was incorporated in 1787. Population, in 1837, 2,618.