West Boylston, Massachusetts
Worcester county. This territory was a part of Boylston until 1808, and was first settled about the year 1720. It is 42 miles W. from Boston and 8 N. from Worcester. Population, in 1830, 1,053; 1837, 1,330. The surface of the town is very pleasant; the soil good, and well cultivated. The Quinepoxet and Stillwater rivers meet the Nashua in this town. These streams fertilize a large portion of the town, and afford a water power to propel a number of mills.
There are in the town 7 cotton mills, and manufactures of boots, shoes, leather, palm-leaf hats, cotton machinery, baskets, boxes, straw braid, hatchets and school apparatus; annual value about $200,000.
The venerable Robert B. Thomas, author of the Farmer's Almanac, is a resident of this town. There are some mineral treasures in West Boylston, and a spring, the waters of which are strongly impregnated with iron.