The soil of this town is adapted to all kinds of culture; much of it is rich alluvial meadow, and the uplands produce excellent feed for cattle.
Here is an excellent hydraulic power, and a pleasant village on an extended plain, surrounded by delightful scenery.
There are one cotton and two woolen mills in the town, two tanneries, and manufactures of pig iron, iron castings, chairs, boots, shoes, and machinery for boring iron and wood: total amount of the manufactures for the year ending April 1, 1837, $380,765. Marble is abundant.
A tribe of Indians had a reservation of 6 miles square in this town, from the year 1735 to their removal to New Stockbridge, Oneida county, New York. In 1735 there were 90 adult Indians in the tribe, of whom 52 were baptized by the Rev. John Sargent, a faithful missionary, and their first spiritual guide.