Plymouth county. This town lies within Plymouth harbor, 4 miles N.W. from Plymouth, and 31 S.E. from Boston. Kingston has a good harbor, a considerable stream of water and some excellent land. There are a number of vessels engaged in the coasting trade, and some in foreign commerce. Many vessels are built here of the south shore white oak, noted for its strength and durability. During the year ending April 1, 1837, there were 19 vessels engaged in the cod and mackerel fishery. They took 14,214 quintals of cod fish, and 886 barrels of mackerel, the value of which amounted to $48,590. There is a cotton mill in Kingston, and manufactures of bar iron, nails, axes, cutlery, anchors, leather, shoes, palm-leaf hats, and shingles: total value in one year $105,302. Monk's hill presents an excellent view of Plymouth harbor. Kingston was incorporated in 1726. Population, 1837, 1,371.