Plymouth county. The Indian name of this place was Monponset. It lies 28 miles S.S.E. from Boston and 12 W. by S. from Plymouth. The surface of the town is generally level, with considerable good soil. Monponset and other ponds are large collections of water, and the sources of valuable mill privileges. There are a cotton and woolen mill in the town, and manufactures of shoes and straw braid;—total amount of manufactures about $150,000. Halifax was incorporated in 1734. Population, 1837, 781.