Norfolk county. Charles river and its branches afford Franklin a good water power. It was taken from Wrentham in 1778. There are five cotton mills in the town, and manufactures of straw bonnets, shoes, boots, boxes, and boats; total amount of manufactures in one year, $210,472, of which $160,186 were for straw bonnets, for which this town is celebrated. Franklin lies 27 miles S.W. by S. from Boston, and 17 S.S.W. from Dedham. Population, 1837, 1,696.