Franklin county. This town was first settled by a colony from the north of Ireland, about the year 1736. It lies 105 miles N.W. from Boston and 9 N.W. from Greenfield. It is watered by a branch of Deerfield river, which produces a water power for 3 cotton mills and several other manufactories. The manufactures consist of cotton goods, iron castings, leather, hats, chairs, cabinet ware, ploughs, spades, shovels, forks, and hoes; total value, in one year, $91,000. This is a fine grazing township and produced, in 1837, 16,123 pounds of wool, valued at $9,133, the fleeces of 5,754 sheep. Population, 1837, 1,998.