Oxford county. Rumford is a township of valuable land, 51 miles W.N.W. from Augusta and 20 N. by W. from Paris. It lies on the northwestern bank of the Androscoggin, and enjoys a great water power. Mills of various kinds are already erected, and manufactures on a large scale are contemplated. White Cap mountain, rising 500 feet above the level of the surrounding country, and Glass-face, about 400 feet, present beautiful views from their summits. Population, 1837, 1,382. Wheat crop, same year, 4,385 bushels. Incorporated, 1800.
¶ In more modern times, gold has been found streams near Rumford.