Kennebunk Port [Kennebunkport], Maine
York county, is situated on the N.E. side of the Kennebunk river. This town was formerly extensively engaged in the West India trade, but its navigation is now employed in the freighting, coasting, and fishing business. The extensive granite quarries here are likely to become a source of considerable business. The stone, bearing a strong resemblance to the Quincy, finds a ready market where granite is made use of in building. Thirty years ago, this town, and Kennebunk, on the opposite side of the river, were the most active and busy ports in Maine; but the tide of emigration has carried off most of the young men, leaving a surplus of girls; so that whatever activity there now is in the place, is of a domestic character, not creating that noise and bustle incident to the operations of the other sex. Kennebunk Port lies about 4 miles N.E. from Kennebunk. This town and Kennebunk are much united in maritime pursuits and both enjoy a good harbor for shipping. Population, 1837, 2,730.