Lincoln county. On the E. bank of Kennebec river, near the head of Swan Island, 9 miles N.W. from Wiscasset, 14 S. from Augusta, and 59 N.E. from Portland. This is a large agricultural township with some trade on the river. Previous to the division of the county, in 1789, Dresden was the shire town or place where all the courts in Maine were holden, E. of Kennebec river. Dresden was incorporated as a town in 1794. Population, 1837, 1,570.