Cumberland county, is pleasantly situated on the border of Long pond, and near the head of navigation to Portland by the Cumberland and Oxford canal. The distance from this place to Portland, by navigable waters, is about 50 miles. The soil of Bridgeton is good, and produced in 1837 4,000 bushels of wheat. Its location affords it great facilities for inland trade. Long pond is about 20 miles in length and 1 in breadth. It empties into Crooked river, which passes into Sebago pond. This town lies 74 miles S.W. by W. from Augusta, and 40 N.W. from Portland, by the road. Population, 1837, 1,863.