Blue Hill and Bay, Maine
Hancock county. The town lies at the head of a large bay, of the same name, 12 miles E. from Castine and 78 E. from Augusta. There are several large ponds in Blue Hill, and a hill of 960 feet in height, from which delightful marine scenery is presented. Incorporated 1789. Population, 1837, 1,808. The bay has Long and other islands inside; and outside, Burntcoat, and a group of smaller islands. Blue Hill bay is connectied with Penobscot bay and river by a passage between the islands and main land, of about 12 miles. It lies about 16 miles W. from Frenchman's bay.